|Black Soy Beans|
Today’s “Dr. Oz Show” introduced viewers to another superfood that Dr. Mehmet Oz says can be beneficial to weight loss – black soybeans.
“Get this – it’s sitting in your grocery store right now,” he said at the start of Monday’s episode.
But hold on – it may not be. Most grocery stores carry beans of all stripes but black soy beans (that's how it's labeled by Eden on its canned variety) may be a little more hard to find. Check in the natural foods section, or head over to a natural foods store, such as Whole Foods, which definitely does carry them. You also can find them online at places like Amazon.
And they’re not “black beans” – that is a totally different legume, albeit one with similar health-giving properties. The key bullet points to Dr. Oz’s recommendation is that black soybeans are a rich source of fiber and protein – two nutrients that can help with weight loss.
Another reason it’s preferred over regular soybeans is its color – the deep, purpley black of the soybean means it’s rich in antioxidants.
At $2 a can, black soybeans are one Dr. Oz-hyped superfood we can get behind. And if you want to go even cheaper, you can find dried black soybeans but they can take hours to prepare.
You can sometimes find black soybeans made into tofu if you're a fan of that protein source.
You can use black soybeans in the same dishes you’d use any other bean – chili, soups, refried beans, even hummus. And try replacing the fat in your next brownie recipe with mashed black soybeans or black beans – no one will be the wiser and you be adding fiber and protein to the dessert.
Dr. Mehmet Oz says he's found a weight loss superfood that blocks fat, halts hunger and costs only about two dollars a can. On his November 18 talk show, Dr. Oz dished on why and how he considers black soybeans to be so beneficial in fighting fat.
What's special about black soybeans? They're higher in protein and antioxidants and lower in carbohydrates than other beans, says Dr. Oz. As a result, they're the optimal option when it comes to enhancing your diet with legumes.
Among the benefits of black soybeans:
- Black soybeans take much longer to digest than other beans because of their high protein content. Protein keeps you feeling fuller longer, and helps you burn more calories in the process.
- They're high in fiber, keeping you full longer. One-half cup contains seven grams of fiber.
- They're full of anthocyanins, which decreases the bad and increases the good cholesterol.
How to use:
- Make hummus using black soybeans rather than chickpeas. They have fewer carbohydrates and add a nutty flavor.
- Add 1/2 cup to your tacos to shed pounds by cutting down on the quantity of meat.
- Use black soybeans rather than lentils in traditional lentil soup. They'll fill you up because they give you a boost of protein.
Where to find: Check your local health food store or look online. If you buy canned beans, look for a brand without added salt, such as Eden Organic Black Soy Beans, No Salt Added.